Thursday, May 31, 2012

Temporarily Out of Commission

So the day after my brother and his new wife got married they left for their honeymoon in Jamacia.  I told them that I would house sit and dog sit while they were gone. I moved into their house for a week and it was great to finally live on my own.  And I miss it dearly.  The dogs would stay outside most of the day while I was at work and I would stop by later in the day to let them in for a little bit because it was really hot all last week.  So the weekend came and the dogs never get walked. I had taken them out for a walk earlier in the week but separate because they don't get walked on a leash and I didn't know how they would act with just shock collars on.  But they both did fine.  So I took them out for a walk after I got home Saturday from Speed Street to get me a funnel cake.  I started to walk them down to the street and saw that Heather and her grandma were at the house, and the dogs are so used to spending time there that they always head up the driveway.  Bella came to the door and Grandma Wease let us in and we went out to the pool and let the dogs play in the pool for a little bit because besides the fact that it was hot as all get out outside, and they love the water(Rocky more than Harley). 
The dogs played in the pool for about an hour and just around the yard, but mostly in the pool and to help them cool off. 
I decided about 8:45 - 9pm is that it was time to go home.  I decided to go around the outside of the house since it connects to the front of the house because they dogs were wet and I didn't want them trying to push their way through the house and that way they could just follow me and me now have to walk back around to get them if I went through the house.  And they were good and followed me around the house.  Rocky had gotten ahead of me, I felt was too far, so I called him back to me.  When he started to run back to me he was running pretty fast, and I figured he would slow down or at least move around me.  I just stood there and Harley was on my right side.  So here comes Rocky full steam ahead and next thing I know Rocky has hit my left leg and he stands about knee height and my knee cap pops out of place.  This actually happening is nothing unusual for me since it's not the first time it's actually happened.  I tried to stay on my feet but the pain was just to bad, so I sat down on the ground.  Yes, the whole time I was screaming in pain.  When I sat down on the ground Rocky thought I was getting down on the ground to play and he was jumping on top of me all excited.  I started screaming for him to get off of me and I was scared that he was going to step on the back of my knee and make it even worse.  I never remember the pain being that bad the first time that it happened. 
Heather and Grandma Wease came running outside to see what was going on.  Heather had gone back inside to get me crutches and she walked the dogs back up to the house and Grandma Wease gave me a ride back to the house.  And after getting to the house I had Heather change out the shock collars to the dogs wouldn't leave the yard.  The dogs get all excited when they are together and getting the shock collars changed, more the ones that let them roam around than the ones that make them stay in the yard. 
Notice the swelling of my left knee compared to my right
I got some stuff done that I needed to take care of before going to bed and then stationed myself on the couch to relax and watch some tv.  Yes I had the crutches, but I'm very independent don't like having help even when I'm hurt.  So it's all about me being able to function with no problems even when injured.  I put some ice on my knee and talked on my computer for a little bit.  One of my friends from CrossFit said that if I needed any help at all I should let him know.  I had previously joked that he should come take care of me and he said he'd love to haha.  It was nice to know that at least one person was willing to help me out, but being independent the only thing I would ask for is the company.
I later went to take a shower and had a couple tearful moments(granted those little bit of tears lasted in bursts of a couple seconds; I hate crying) because I realized that I wouldn't be able to run in any races for a while.
Right Moves for Youth 5k
May 11, 2012
3rd place Age Group
Running - I had one that I had planned on running this coming weekend - King Tiger 5k in University.  I was completely stoked about this one because I was hoping to get a new 5k PR.  I had been doing so well so far this season with my running especially after my half-marathon.  I started the year out with a 5k PR in February and then it has just kept getting better.  I had placed in the past two races I had competed in in the Run for Your Life Grand Pre Series, even though I wasn't registered for the full series.  I was so excited about how well I had been doing and now this injury  has messed it all up.  I can't run this weekend and I'm completely bummed about it.  I had found a happiness in running since my year has been going so well.  I'm super scared about how far back this injury will put me back in my progression I've seen in running.  I know I need to take it slow though.  I had signed up to take a spin certification class and wasn't sure if I would still be able to do that since two portions of the certification class are on the bike.  I emailed that contact and was assured that I could still come take the class which I am happy about.  There are two other things that I am really upset about when it comes to training.  I also have a plan to run a 10-miler at Disney with two friends in September and then another half-marathon in Myrtle Beach in October.
Open WOD 12.1
7 minutes of burpees
Total 93
CrossFit - I have been setting new PRs in CrossFit and was super excited about this.  New squat PR and kb swings, and after this past Saturday's partner workout that me and my partner won my head had finally gotten back into the motivational mode that it needed to be in doing CrossFit or any other training for that matter.  We had done prowler pushes and pulls last week and we were suppose to do it at body weight(for me 115lbs) but the coach that morning decided that all the girls were going to do the same weight, which ended up being 140lbs.  I pushed and pulled 140lbs which I am still amazed by.  I remember when I first started CrossFit years ago and it was really hard for me to even push a 50lb prowler.  I have come so far since then!  My head had been out of the game in just about every area of my training for the past two weeks.   I was ready to get back into the game and start pushing myself more than I had been. I had thought about participating in CrossFit for Hope to help raise money for St. Judes as well.  I'm so scared about how long I will be out because I don't want to lose the strength that I have gained and the changes in my body that I have seen.  I can tell a difference when I lose the muscle definitely in my legs and I don't want to see that happen again
Amica 19.7 Sprint Triathlon 2011
Triathlons - I always have goals for anything that I do and triathlons are no exception.  My goal for this year was to compete in my first International/Olypmic triathlon - Stumpy Creek International Triathlon (1 mile swim, 27 mile bike ride, and a 10k-6.2mi-run).  Not only was that part of the goal but to compete in the Amica 19.7 Sprint Triathlon (750m swim, 16 mile bike ride, 5k-3.1mi- run) which was the following day.  Two triathlons back to back is a big task for anyone to do because your body needs the recovery time.  I had previously talked to Nicole about when would be a good official time to start training for Stumpy and Amica, and she had said the beginning of June.  I really needed to start getting out on my bike since I hadn't been on it at all since last year because of the cold.  So now I am worried that I won't be able to have enough training time to race Stumpy Creek, so the worst possible scenario is that I can only race the Amica which isn't that bad if you even think about it.  I have until the beginning of August to train for the race.  If I don't get to race these two then I don't really know when my first official race will be.  I think I will at least be ready for the triathlon at the beach in September. 
Swimming - I don't really have any issues with the swimming except for the fact that all I can do is pull.  So no kicking allowed, and it does take me out of the One2Tri group swim that I do every Tuesday.  But I will start doing a 15 minute ab session before hand. 

So with all those goals in mind I'm really hating my knee right now because I don't know when I will be able to get back into running, CrossFit, triathlon training or swimming.  I never really realized how much I wanted and had a passion to complete these goals until I got injured.  I know that this injury is probably what I need right now because my body doesn't get enough rest and just to get some things straight in my life because I've been neglecting some things.  It's very hard for me not to work out because it's basically all I know how to do.  My life is working out and training. It's gives me not only the physical confidence that I can do anything, but it also gives me the mental confidence that I need.  I've always considered my physical strength to help me with my mental inner strength when it comes to dealing with hard situations in life.  I feel like that if I am physically strong nothing can hurt me mentally or break me down.  I have also realized that I am very independent, and I have always been proud of that fact.  I've always wanted to know that I am able to take care of myself in situations like these because not everyone who offers to help take care of me will always be there in my life, so why depend on someone who might not always be there when I am capable to doing these things for myself.  I think that this is not only a strength that I have, but also a weakness of mine.  I should feel that it is okay for me to be able to rely on others, but it's always been hard for me to. 
This injury has also given me the mental motivation to come back from this injury even stronger and work so much harder than I was before.  It really has reaffirmed my love for the sports that I do.  I'm itching to get back in the game and work hard.  If it wasn't such a bad idea right now then I would be out there running and training now!

I go to see a sports medicine doctor on Monday, so I will get my official diagnosis then.  I went to urgent care this past Monday and he told me that from what he could tell it was inflammation from the impact and cartilage getting moved in and out of place from my patella(knee cap) slipping out of place.  He said there didn't seem to be any tears in ligaments.  I was given anti-inflammatory medicine to take 2x day and he also said he wanted me to go through 2 PT(physical therapy) sessions to go through exercises to strengthen my knee and to go through my movement techniques just to make sure I'm not doing any movements improperly.  So hopefully the sports medicine doctor will give me a good prognosis as well.  I have realized that my situation is not that bad and I am very thankful that it is not.  I could have a worse situation and been in an accident and could have been paralyzed or killed (I know bad thoughts, but very true). I could have to have surgery but so far that isn't the case!

No comments:

Post a Comment