Lone Survivor is a book written by U.S. Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell. It is about his time going through basic and the SEAL training program and a mission that he was one in Afghanistan. I would say the book is split 50//50 between his training process and his mission.
The name of the book Lone Survivor comes from an occurrence in his mission. He had let some Afghani goatherders go that had walked up on them and they told the Taliban. The Taliban later started a battle with the 4 Navy SEALs. There goal was to find and capture/kill __________, basically the second in command to Osama bin Laden. The mission was called Operation Redwing and he was apart of SEAL Team 10. The battle lasting what seemed like several days, but only a few hours. Unfortunately 3 of the 4 Navy SEALs were shot several times and were eventually killed under fire. One SEAL got got several times, through the neck, stomach, etc. and kept on fighting. No where short of amazing and inspiring. This really humbled me, and gave me a greater respect for not only the SEALs but for our military in general. Michael Murphy was among the team of Navy SEALs and was KIA while stepping out into the middle of the battle to get a reception to call back to base for backup since his team was under fire and being killed in the process. The teams radio was not working.
Marcus Luttrell was the "lone survivor" of SEAL Team 10 and it tells is view point of his journey through the battle and surviving in a Pushtan village and finally making it home and honoring those on his team. I finally finished the book Sunday night and it is a book that I will definitely read over again. I would highly recommend for you too as well!
Lone Survivor
The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
by Marcus Luttrell with Patrick Robinson
Fall = Pumpkin (streusel muffins)
So I decided I wanted to try another paleo recipe besides that crackers that I had made twice, which I plan on making again this weekend. The muffins were perfect to make since pumpkin is in right now, but the streusel part just make it all the more convincing. I made the muffins on Wednesday and I'll put the recipe up below later. It took a good while to make and the ingredients aren't your typical flour. A lot of the CrossFit places are having are having paleo challenges lately. If you don't know what the paleo diet is. It focuses less on grain carbs and more on natural carbs from veggies, fruits, etc. With very little artificial sugar and more protein.
I love pumpkin flavored things so Wednesday I set out to make the muffins, which it took a good hour to do. The streusel contained chopped pecans and cinnamon. It made about 10 muffins. But they muffins are still nice and soft! I feel like the streusel part needs more of a liquid fill to it; I could have put the wrong amount of coconut oil in though.
Okay so I tried one the other day while it was cold and I definitely think that it was better cold than it was warm. Maybe one more attempt at a warm muffin.
Paleo Pumpkin Streusel Muffin
1/2c pumpkin puree
1/2c coconut oil, melted
3 tbsp coconut milk
6 eggs (I used egg whites)
6 medjool dates, pitted and mashed (with 1 tbsp water and 1 tbsp maple syrup)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2c coconut flour
Streusel
1/2c pecans, chopped
1/4c almond meal/flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1tbsp coconut oil, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper liners or grease with coconut oil.
In a small bowl, add pitted medjool dates and 1 tbsp water.
Heat in microwave for 30 seconds on high.
Mash dates with fork and add 1 tbsp maple syrup and mash again
In a bowl of a food processor combine date mixture, pumpkin puree, coconut oil (melted), coconut milk, eggs, vanilla extract, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin spice.
Process until well combine and the date mixture is pureed
Add coconut flour and process again until combine
To make streusel, combine all ingredients and stir to combine
Fill each paper cup 3/4 full of batter and top with streusel
Bake muffins for 30-35min
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment