Runway 5k or Hog Jog 5k
All week i have been excited about a race called the Runway 5k. Why have I been so excited you ask? Well, the Runway 5k location is on the runway of the Charlotte Douglas International Airport. How fun would that be to run on the airport runway by all the hangars and with plans flying in all the while. I couldn't decide all week whether or not to register for the race because I don't really need to spend the money. I finally decided Friday, the day before the race, that I was going to run it.
I was running around a lot of Friday - teaching a no show spin class, cancelled client, swim workout, worked at the pool, met a friend to see Pitch Perfect, two more clients, work at the pool again. So I called Run for Your Life on my way back to the club from the money. I explained to him my situation and had tried to register for the race online earlier that day but it wouldn't let me. Unfortunately, I couldn't register over the phone so I was going to go and register the day of. I looked up the race online so I would know where to go the next morning. They had made a race brochure and I was looking in there to find the information, and while reading the brochure I saw that it said NO race day registration!!! WHAT??? So that lead to major disappointment.

I went back to bed for a nap for about an hour and went for my run at 7:30. I finally got on my run at 7:35am and I know at the most I could run it in 35 minutes. So I started out as usual at what felt like a pace that I would not be able to hold the whole time and I would settle into something more comfortable. Well, I decided to push it a little hard today and try to keep the same pace the whole time. Besides the last couple hills I felt like I was hanging right in there at the same pace. I looked down at my watch to see what time it was and I came to the house at 8:03am. I was super excited about that. It meant I had completed 3.5 miles in under 30 minutes, boosting my confidence and possibly convincing me to register for the South Park Turkey Trot 8k.
Mobility Clinic
Before I hit the details of the mobility clinic I will give you a brief overview of what happened after a great morning run...
I had some time to rest and fix my minimals of a lunch and then went to get in my car to teach spin class at 10am. I started to crank my car and nothing would turn over. My first thought was my battery is dead. So I called my brother but he was working. Almost called my sister (in-law) but figured she didn't know how to do the whole change a car battery thing (sorry sis if you're reading this), so finally decided on calling my grandpa. He came and picked me up to take me to NAPA to get a new battery and helped me install the new one. And I went back to NAPA to return my old one to save $12 and then headed out to SOF WODS/SCCF for the mobility clinic.
It started late, which I will admit was a little frustrating since I had things I wanted to get done. We started out with a small lecture about stretching and how not all the time how stretching is a good thing, since you are loosening muscles that are already stretched out, at times. Both of the speakers, who do CrossFit, are also chiropractors.
We then broke up into two groups. I was in the group with the tennis balls and foam rollers learning how to work out any trigger points that I had that could make my muscles sore, which also "stretched"/released tension in muscles. We did each major muscle group with the foam roller and got into deeper spots with the tennis balls.
The other group was working with resistance bands, and I guess worked on different ways to stretch using them. We got done before the other group and by that time it was 12:30pm. I hadn't eaten lunch yet and it was waiting for me and I was starving, plus I needed to go pick up my shoes!
New Running Shoes
I first saw these shoes at the fitness expo in Orlando for the Tower of Terror race. I feel in love more with the color than anything - blues, purples and orange. So I emailed Mel after I had gotten back and purchased a AmazonLocal deal for: $25 for $50 off running shoes at Inside-Outside Sports in Charlotte. Mel is a co-owner of the store. They didn't have the color or size I needed so she was nice enough to order them for me.
| My new running shoes! |
They came in the Friday that I had left to head to the beach for my half marathon. I emailed her back saying that I would pick them up on Monday.
Once Monday rolled around I emailed her again saying I would be by Wednesday or Friday, more probable was Friday since I got paid that day. But I didn't end up getting over there until Saturday afternoon at 1pm. I tried on the shoes and they guy let me go outside and run in them really quick. I also know another guy who works there, Steve, from CrossFit. I definitely wasn't used to the way these shoes felt after being my my Nike Dual Fusions for so long (I'd had them since January 2012). I will start breaking them in tomorrow and try and keep on the track for training for half marathons.
Unfortunately, these are not the Newton Motion shoes that I want, but I do have another voucher for $25 for $50 off running shoes at Inside-Out Sports :)
So that's what the next voucher will be for, my Newton running shoes!

No comments:
Post a Comment