I woke up on Saturday morning at 5:30am so I could finish my packing since I didn't finish the night before. Mom wanted to be on the road by 7am. We didn't exactly leave at 7am, but 7:30am. We had to pack coolers and mom still had to finish packing all her clothes. Drive time, 10 hours...
When we finally hit the road we stopped at a rest area for a bathroom break and then got back on and later stopped to fix lunch, by that time I was starving. The closer we got to Jersey the more stop and go the traffic got for no real apparent reason. There would be some cops that had pulled over some people and some accidents that were pulled off on the side of the road but no major accidents that went on. Since the drive was going to take a while I decided to use it to catch up on my Year of the Bible reading since I had gotten a month behind, which I was very disappointed in myself for. I think I read for about 2 hours and took two naps on the way up. When I wasn't reading or napping I was flipping to radio stations to have some kind of entertainment that didn't involve static. With all the traffic I want to say we lost a good hour and a half on time.
We were told that as we got closer to NJ we would have to pay tolls. Sure enough the close we got we had to start paying tolls, around the D.C. area no less. It was really neat to drive past some of the great monuments of our nations capital and some place that I would love to go back and visit since I haven't been there since I was in 5th grade. It's one of those places that you just can't appreciate until you're older. We hit about 4 to 5 tolls on the way up and ended up spending $13.75 just to get through tolls into NJ. The other reason we got lost...
Between taking 95, 295, 895, 201, 495 and 95 some more we were about to miss it at some point. Yes we took some wrong turns and had to stop off for more food later. We got lost in D.C. and had to literally drive through and I called a client of mine who is from D.C. to help get us through. We took some other wrong turns, but finally got to Atlantic City 12 hours later. And at that point we were just ready to go to bed.
~Beach Days~
Sunday was just a day spent at the beach and to get settled into a routine. We already had our week planned out.
Sunday: relax
Monday: Cape May
Tuesday: relax
Wednesday: NY
Thurs/Friday: relax
When mom and I got up the first agenda was the gym, and now that I think about it the first time I've worked out on a Sunday in a while since it's my normal rest day. After that I took a shower only to eat lunch and head down to the beach and get nice and sweaty from the sun. It was really neat because we were close to Steel Pier Amusement which was really neat to see, and my favorite and what I've wanted to do for the past couple years...a sling shot. We were out at the beach for about 2 hours and the natural way to cool off when you get too hot from the sun is to hit the water. NJ water equals about 70 degrees or less, so yeah kind of cold for a girl from North Carolina. After the beach came a nap, which seems to become a staple in my daily routine. We went to dinner at Atlantic City Bar & Grill which was unusual when the check came because they do not separate checks. That became a big ordeal that it didn't need to be.
Tuesday was another day spent on the beach, but only for about an hour to and hour and a half. It was really windy that day so a sun bath felt more like a sand bath. Mom and I went for a walk down both sides of the beach. The one thing that truly fascinated me was that there we lifeguards on the beach, not something you see too much of on NC/SC beaches. And they were blowing there whistles like crazy for either going too far out which for here wouldn't be that far and for getting to close to what I am guessing were rocks. The tide never really rose or fell while there, or at least while I was on the beach. Tuesday was a gym day that morning as well, but I slept a little bit later than mom. I just wanted to sleep in, after all I was on vacation.
Wednesday turned into a relax day instead of New York for reasons I will explain later. As much as I wanted to go to the beach on Wednesday I was just too lazy to put on my bathing suit. Wednesday turned into a shopping day which ended up in a very cute new dress with a jacket to go with it, a new pair of workout capris from Nike that we on sale and some training cones. You've got to love Tanger Outlets! After shopping was a nap and then fixed dinner in, basically left overs from Sunday and Monday night.
Jersey Adventures
Cape May
Walking Around In Circles to Get to New York
Thursday morning rolled around and we went to Taj Mahal to catch the bus at 7:40am, earlier than our previous bus time for Wednesday. We hit NY bus terminal at 10:30am. After getting lost in the bus terminal for 30min.
We started off the day by getting a MetroPass to ride the subway back and forth all day, my very first subway ride. We took it down to South Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The statue of Liberty and Ellis Island both had audio tours that we used. Unfortunately, we couldn't go inside because they were doing renovations on the outside. When getting ready to go to Ellis Island 3 SWAT guys got off on Liberty Island. We headed over to Ellis Island and learned the history of the immigrants and the process they had to go through. It was very touching to hear about and just to see the area they all had to walk through. After that we headed back to the main land and got back on the subway up to Times Square. By the time we got back into New York it was time for dinner so we found pizza, the one thing mom was craving was authentic NY pizza. After that was the long walk to the Empire State building. We passed parks along the way and the NY Public Library. When we finally got to the Empire State Building it started to thunder and lightning, as a result we weren't allowed to go on the outside of the building once we got up to the top. It got old quick because of all the people packed inside at the top and no one wanted to move away from the windows. So down we went and back out to Times Square. You can't go to NY and not go to Times Square! It started to rain when we were about ready to leave which was good timing. By the time we had done all that we were both ready to go home, and to think that my mom wanted to go see a Broadway play.
NY will definitely have to be a single vacation by itself just to do everything by tourist standards and by local standards!
Coming Home
We felt NJ around 7am, which was the planned time. Off on the road we went. I took most of this time to take naps and catch up on my reading. I was so excited when I got done with my reading because I had been a month behind on my Year of the Bible reading. I finally got caught back up and was super excited. I am still caught up today!
We started off the day by getting a MetroPass to ride the subway back and forth all day, my very first subway ride. We took it down to South Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The statue of Liberty and Ellis Island both had audio tours that we used. Unfortunately, we couldn't go inside because they were doing renovations on the outside. When getting ready to go to Ellis Island 3 SWAT guys got off on Liberty Island. We headed over to Ellis Island and learned the history of the immigrants and the process they had to go through. It was very touching to hear about and just to see the area they all had to walk through. After that we headed back to the main land and got back on the subway up to Times Square. By the time we got back into New York it was time for dinner so we found pizza, the one thing mom was craving was authentic NY pizza. After that was the long walk to the Empire State building. We passed parks along the way and the NY Public Library. When we finally got to the Empire State Building it started to thunder and lightning, as a result we weren't allowed to go on the outside of the building once we got up to the top. It got old quick because of all the people packed inside at the top and no one wanted to move away from the windows. So down we went and back out to Times Square. You can't go to NY and not go to Times Square! It started to rain when we were about ready to leave which was good timing. By the time we had done all that we were both ready to go home, and to think that my mom wanted to go see a Broadway play.
NY will definitely have to be a single vacation by itself just to do everything by tourist standards and by local standards!
Coming Home
We felt NJ around 7am, which was the planned time. Off on the road we went. I took most of this time to take naps and catch up on my reading. I was so excited when I got done with my reading because I had been a month behind on my Year of the Bible reading. I finally got caught back up and was super excited. I am still caught up today!
No comments:
Post a Comment