When I woke up Sunday morning it was already raining, which I knew that was a chance for the day. I took and shower and planned to go back over to the Alamo so that I could do the audio tour, hoping that it wouldn't cost a pretty penny. I didn't mind visiting in the rain. Actually I thought it was kind of nice to have the rain since all I had heard about was the Texas heat. The audio tours weren't set up outside like they were on Friday when I went, so I walked inside and asked the guy working where the audio tours were and if they cost anything. When he told me they cost $6 I looked at him and told him to tell me everything he could about The Alamo.
The flags posted inside the front of the building are from different states and countries of all the people who fought in the Battle of the Alamo. Each flag also had how many people from that place were in the battle. There are only 4 total rooms inside the Alamo -
1) the baptism room which now holds a statue of Saint Antonio in which the San Antonio River was named after San Antonio de Padua. It was formally called "Yanaguana."
2)the confession room which holds a confessional, the room used for a church and the room where the monks got ready for services.
| Where the cannon ball was to believed to have hit the Alamo. |
At the back of the Alamo there are two huge wooden doors that were previously attached to a house that really didn't have anything do to with the Alamo but were donated and set inside to preserve them. All around the doors are the names of all the people who fought and died in the Battle of the Alamo. On the outside of the Alamo the first day I went you could take a picture. I asked the guy I talked to on the side what the significance of that spot was for pictures. He told me that it is to believed that it is where a cannonball hit the wall in the Battle.
I also learned which I thought was very interesting is that at the time of the Battle the roof that is on the Alamo was not there at the time. The building had not been completed so it was completely open.
After walking through Alamo I didn't want to wait on the shuttle and wanted to get a San Antonio hat so I decided to go across the street to the visitors center and see if they had anything. They had a hat and shirt combo, but I didn't like the shirt so I walked back along the RiverWalk since I knew that there was a shop there. They had a hat and shirt that I liked and it was cheaper than the visitors center so I grabbed them and headed back to the resort and up to my room for the remainder of the time I had the room for. My rest of the time was spent in the lobby on the house reading books until the airport shuttle came to pick me up at 2:45ish.
12am turns to 2:30am
I got to the airport at 3:30ish and sat and waited on my flight. My first flight went off without a hitch. I boarded and in the process ended up sitting with a girl who works for the Wounded Warrior Project and they had just gotten done with an event earlier that morning, it turned out to be an 8k. I asked her how she ended up working there and what she did. Since seeing all the military guys I've wanted to help out more with the military, and have thought about joining. We got lucky and had the seats to ourselves so we were able to stretch out and get comfortable the whole guy to Atlanta. There was rain since it had been raining in San Antonio all day.
| San Antonio Airport mosaic art |
My layover in Atlanta was 2 hours so I settled in on some sits that had outlets in them and hooked up my phone and grabbed my book and started reading. Our plane from Charlotte finally landed and announcements were being made so everyone started packing up there stuff. First class was called to board and then Delta Sky Priority. Next thing we knew there the desk attendant was telling us that the mechanics were looking at the plane because there seemed to be something that could cause a problem. So everyone that was boarded had to come back off the plane. The lady said that it didn't look like there would be a delay and to just sit tight. Then next thing we know our flight was delayed for a 12am boarding time. The next announcement: We are waiting for another plane to come in so that we could use that plane to get back to Charlotte and we were going to be unable to use our original plane because of mechanical difficulties. Our new plane finally had landed and was passengers were coming off. They cleaned up the plane and started boarding around 12:30am. We finally left the airport at 1am and arrived back in Charlotte at 2am.
On the way home I sent an email to my complimentary session that I had schedule for 7:30am and told her that I wouldn't be able to make it and that I would be no use to her on 3 hours of sleep. So we rescheduled and she understood.
Now I have a burning desire to go back to Texas really soon. I am looking at November but tickets seem to be around $400-$500 dollars, probably because it is close to a holiday. Here lately I've thought about moving there. It just feels like a great city to live in! So maybe it is a change I need.
No comments:
Post a Comment