I started out the morning with a run along the RiverWalk. I started toward King Williams (a historic district in San Antonio) and then turned around and ran into RiverWalk and through all the restaurants with some dodging, weaving and stair climbing with it! The weather was perfect, cool weather with a little bit of sun. Nothing like the Texas heat I'd been hearing so much about. I wanted some different upbeat music for my run so I plugged in my headphones to my iphone and played the dance cardio station on Pandora. After my morning run was a nice relaxing shower and lunch followed by a walk to the Alamo and along the way I saw the Torch of Friendship which is situated in the middle of the street. It reminded me of some of the decorations we used for Christmas that twirl around each other and curl at the ends.
The Alamo
(Mission San Antonio de Valero)
My first official item on my agenda as a tourist was to see the very popular The Alamo. It was previously known as Mission San Antonio de Valero. The lawn seen in front of The Alamo is where the famous David "Davie" Crockett met his death. I wanted to take as many pictures as possible on this trip especially of the sites. As soon as I walked up I started taking pictures. In the lawn in front of The Alamo is one of the letters that Travis wrote to ask for help from others in the surrounding area about the upcoming battle but no one came to their aid. Words that really hit home for me were: "I shall never surrender or retreat." and "Death or Victory." The first is something to live by no matter how hard the circumstances become and now matter how frustrated or upset(sadness) you may become.
An audio tour was available, but I also wanted to try and get over to Mission San Jose that day as well so I didn't want to spend too much time there. I didn't know how far or how long it would take to get to Mission San Jose. Of course upon entering you could take a picture to the right of the door way entering The Alamo. On the inside there are a total of 4 rooms. There were also different flags posted up around the inside which you will learn more about later as well as the rooms. There's nothing except for a little bit in the front and in the back there are two large wooden doors that I could only assume were some part of the Alamo. After leaving the building through a side door I walked into the gift shop which actually sold knives and guns, kind of shocking.
There was also a wall of history that told about how the state of Texas became as start and what how the missions came about. Then there was the Calvary courtyard where old cannons that were used were displaced. There was also a fountain that had the names of the four most notable men in the Battle of the Alamo. There was a 20 minute video that was being shown was well that told a little bit about the history of The Alamo as well as the Battle of the Alamo.
Wyndham Journal:
The Alamo was amazing to see, just the structure itself. I walked through the interior and should have grabbed an audio tour but didn’t, maybe go back on Sunday and do it again. I walked through the courtyards in which one had a timeline of the birth of the state of Texas and the Alamo . Another had cannons used during the battle at the Alamo because of Santa Anna’s quest for victory. I sat in what I can only guess was the church and watched a short 2o minute video about he Alamo . Inside the Alamo I saw Airman with their families and outside.
The 42 Bus...
I didn't do the audio tour at the Alamo because I wanted to try and catch the bus to Mission San Jose. There are a total of five missions located in San Antonio. So I cut the tour of the Alamo a little short. I walked to the bus stop which was suppose to be at S. Alamo and Commerce St. and ran by the stop every 15 minutes according to the information that one of the Wyndham ladies gave me at the information/members desk.
I found the bus stop and it wasn't quite time for the bus to come. Bus fare was $1.10 and there was convent store right at the corner and some of the people looked a little sketchy that were standing there so I walked into the store to get out my money for the bus since all my was with me in a jewelry box and all folded in together. I headed back out the to bus stop and stood there to wait on the bus. I swear some people out there acted and conversed with other people at the bus stop like they were in a gang. I stood there and the 79 bus came, the 76 bus came, and so on and so forth. I also saw the 42 bus, the one bus I needed cross over the street. So I figured that it would back a loop around and eventually stop at where I was. I was at the bus stop for about 45 minutes and it was getting close to 4pm so I finally gave up and walked back to the resort, of course along the RiverWalk which ended up being my path I always took to get back to the resort. So I decided Saturday was going to be an early morning so that I could go to Mission San Jose, Mission Concepcion, and King Williams historic district.
Wyndham Journal:
I wanted to go to Mission San Jose today as well but the bus I needed (42) never came. So I eventually came back to the resort to go to CrossFit and that bus never came either or I missed them both. So instead I got dressed for dinner and went down to the RiverWalk to find a place to eat. On the way down I saw two Airmen and asked them if they has just graduated. They were so polite saying, “yes ma’am.” I told them congratulations and went on my way. After walking far enough I wished I had asked them if their families were here and if not invited them to dinner with me. Seeing them and being here really makes me miss Hunter and wonder what’s going on.
Soldiers
I expected to see a couple soldiers in San Antonio and around RiverWalk since I knew that they hung out in that area when the weekends came around and soldiers were allowed off base. When I started walking toward the Alamo I saw a soldier with his family and I figured it was just his family coming into visit, then I got to the Alamo and saw about 5 other Airmen in their uniforms with their families. Slowly the number of Airmen I saw with their families grew, not only at the Alamo but walking along the streets navigating the city. I saw them everyone - at the Alamo, when I was standing at the bus stop, walking back to the resort along the RiverWalk, and at diner on the RiverWalk.
I had about an hour back at the resort before I headed out for dinner so I just read in my condo. I stopped and asked two Airmen on the way back into the RiverWalk if all the Airmen that I was seeing had just graduated from basic and they replied, "Yes ma'am" and that there was a graduation from BMT (basic training) just about every weekend. I headed off to dinner and automatically wished that I would have asked them to join me for dinner if their families weren't there with them, just to talk to them and pick their brains and to feel like I did something. It took me forever to decide on a place to eat. My options were Mexican, Mexican or more Mexican. I finally decided on a place called Rio Rio Cantina and got the first open table right on the water. I had pollo chile chipotle and it came with rice and a kind of beans. I ate very little of the chips and salsa. Everywhere I looked there were Airmen everywhere and it only made me miss him more and wished he could have been my tour guide.
It made me want to get more involved in the military but I have no idea what I want to do or how I want to do it!
No comments:
Post a Comment