Friday
Friday wasn't too exciting. I worked at the pool that
morning and then headed straight home so that I could finish packing food for
the trip and pack up the car. Unfortunately I got a later start leaving
than I had planned, but made it down to the beach by 3pm. I had to meet
up with Ron so that I could get a key from him so I could stay at his brother's
or sister's condo since I was originally suppose to stay at their beach house.
I unpacked my things and headed down to the beach for a little
while, about 2 or 2.5 hours to just relax. It it probably one of the best
views I could ever ask for, sitting on any beach and looking at the waves crash
on the shore. Ron and Linda came down to the beach for a little while to
play with Harrison, their grandson. He is completely adorable. I
sat on the beach looking up CrossFit gyms in the area
because I wanted to get a workout in since I had been traveling most of the
day, but the one I wanted to go to on did Friday morning classes.
I headed back to the condo around 5:30 and fixed the dinner I had
brought down, watched TV for a little while and then showered. I spent
the rest of the night catching up on some reading. I can't tell you how
great it feels to be away from everything you need to take care of back home
just so I can sit down and relax and read.
Saturday
It felt so great to actually sleep in, and I love the fact that
even though I wake up early during the week I am still able to sleep late when
I get to sleep in. I decided to go for a short run, even though I was
suppose to be on a full rest day. I would only say I ran about half to
three-quarters of a mile and then did 20 muscles snatches on each arm with a
15lb db (dumbbell). In the process of doing the snatches with my right
arm I hit myself in the knee with the db. Smart Tiffany! Do a small
workout the day before and possibly bruise your knee before a run, and the good
knee at that.
Next was some pool time...Yes, I know what you're thinking.
Why go to the pool when you have the beach. Well, I didn't want to
have to drive all the way back from the beach to eat lunch so I just stayed at
the pool until lunch time and then headed to the beach after that. So
about 2 hours at the pool working on the tan. I headed inside for lunch
and after that I went down to the beach for a good 3 hours and worked on my tan
there.
The weather was perfect the whole weekend. It was middle to
high 70s with a light breeze so I could have stayed on the beach forever.
After 3 hours on the beach I headed back to the condo to put on some
clothes and head out to the Fitness Expo at the Grande Dunes Marina and Inn to pick up my packet. The resort was also had a
restaurant called Waterscapes that was provided a
dinner for the athletes for $15 dollars which included a salad, braised short
rib lasagna, and garlic bread.
The dinner/restaurant wasn't open until 5:30pm so I played around
in the Expo until then. I bought a jacket that had Myrtle Beach Mini
Marathon on it even though it didn't have the exact logo of the actual race, a
little disappointing. But my biggest adventure for the expo was trying on
Newton running
shoes. I had never had any of them on, but all their shoes are bright
colors. I finally decided to try a pair on just to see what the big deal
about them was. I picked out a pair that was purple, but they were a size
7 so they were a little big. He grabbed another pair that was a 6.5 and
had me try those on. As I sat there I feel in love with the color.
All Newton
shoes are designed to improve running form. Not only did I try them on,
but one of the guys at the booth took me outside to run in them and videoed me
to look at my running form. He complimented how fast I already was and
how much fast I could be. We went back inside and I made the pain
stacking decision not to buy the shoes 1) because I didn't need to spend the
money, and 2) I had a pair of shoes that had been ordered in my size that
arrived Friday when I left waiting on me back home. The guy that took me
outside said he could see if he could get the price lowered to $120 for me. They
had already lowered the price for the expo to $140 and the original price was
$175.
| The ( |
I already
had a pair of shoes waiting on me back home, and when I asked the guy if they
would be at the Cooper River Bridge Run next year and he said yes I told him I
would get them then.
The rest of the night after dinner I spent just reading and making
sure I had all my things together for my race.
Sunday = Race Day
It was the big day, the goal that I had set for myself the
previous year and said I would do was about to be accomplished. I woke up
early and made sure everything I needed was packed, again. I ate my
breakfast and then headed out to Coastal Grand Mall where the start of the race
would be located. The two aspects of the race that I was looking forward
to were that characters from Midevil Times Dinner show, with horses, were going
to walk us up to the starting line so I was excited about getting to see horses
and of course was going to take pictures; and the other thing I was excited
about was going to be able to see the coast/ocean while I was running.
When I first got there my mission was to hit the bathroom, which
didn't seem to move as fast as the race down in Disney probably because there
weren't as many bathrooms to use. I then took my bag of to the bag
claim/check area so that it could be picked up at the finish line, after that I
sat in my car for a little while to stay warm. 15 minutes to go and I
started to head for the starting line. Needless to stay I just jumped
into the starting line, but got into the "corral" that was for
10:01-11:00min/mi pace. I had to move up a "corral."
The race finally started and I was expecting a couple minutes
faster time than what I had done at RaceFest since this course was all flat.
The first mile was around the mall. I will say that I loved the
fact that there was a mile marker on every mile as well as a clock, that way I
could keep track of where my pace was during the race. What I wasn't
expecting during the race is my left hip flexor to hurt all the way until miles
7 and 8. I was more worried about my left ankle bothering me since it had
bothered me during the Disney race.
My pace felt faster than it had during RaceFest, but I don't know
how I really remember that far back. Every step produced pain in my hip
flexor and every once in a while a sharp pain that almost made me want to stop,
but I'm too stubborn to. Besides running around Coastal Grand Mall we
also ran around Broadway at the beach and through Myrtle Beach High School
and Middle School. It wasn't quite the ocean scenery that I was hoping for.
Along the course there were family spectators and people cheering
us on with signs. They also had it to where people could move to
different spots on the course, so I think I saw the same people about 5 times
cheering their special someone on. Every mile seemed like it went by
pretty fast, which I couldn't believe and was excited about. Every mile I
would tell myself "only ___ miles to go!"
When I hit mile 10 then the slight ankle pain started, the hip
flexor pain had disappeared, and the coastline view that I had looked forward
to for most of the race had finally appeared. We ran about 2.5
miles down Ocean Boulevard
and then made the final left turn to start the final trek down the boardwalk.
Hitting the boardwalk my first that was to look for the finish line,
success. I saw the banner that would mean I completed my goal.
At first the boardwalk was winding cement, slight right and slight
left winding pavement started to make my ankle feel worse. I had switched
back and forth with another female racer in position throughout the race,
whether she was in my age group or not was beyond me. As the boardwalk
winded back and forth people started to huge the corners and I started to get
irritated with people trying to cut me off for a better position so I had to
start passing people. The last stretch the boardwalk changed to uneven
wood, not an ideal running ground. My legs were spent by the end of the
run and my ankle was in pain. I wanted to push myself faster through the
finish line and that girl that I had been changing leads with the entire time
started to pull away from me, but my main concern was to not be in any more
pain than what I was feeling already.
People were lined up along the boardwalk cheering in the runners.
I kept my pace and my feet ran under the memorial banner and across the
timing pads. I know most people slow down after they pass the first
timing pad, but I always run all the way through the second one. I
finally slowed down after that first pad and headed to get my finisher metal.
Granted I was limping and one of the volunteers thought that I had
sprained or twisted my ankle. I said I was fine as I knew that I was and walked
to the toward where they were taking pictures of everyone with their metals,
had two pictures taken and then went for the food that they had provided.
I picked up a banana, half a bagel, and a pumpkin spice cookie.
Heck I deserved that cookie, and yes it was good! After I ate I
went for my bag to get food that I had packed already for after the race.
I hung out until the awards just to see by some slight chance if I had
placed in my age group, but no prevail. Either way I had done something
that I said I would do a year ago!
| That's a huge finisher medal. The hook in it is for opening bottles and it has a magnet on the back! |
I headed for the shuttle back to the mall, then back to the condo
for a nap. After waking up I went to the beach for about 2 hours and then
headed home.
I ordered myself some pizza and cheesesticks for dinner which I
felt I also deserved. It was my last big race for the year and felt so
good to complete that race!
On another note, I think I've found my nitch and will start
running half marathons more often.
No comments:
Post a Comment