Monday, October 22, 2012

Table Rock Mountain + Linville Falls Hiking

The plan was made about a week in advance by Jacob, one of the members at the club.  He told me to invite whoever I wanted so I tried to get some friends together to go.  Now I'm kind of happy that none of my friends went because I made some new ones.

The plan was to go hiking Sunday at Table Rock.  I was iffy about hiking Sunday because I would have to miss church.  Which was nice to know that no one out of the group really liked the face that they were going to miss church either.  All of the people that went besides me were people from Jacob's Bible study class. The other people going were Meredith, Catherine, and Ford.  
We met at the Target in downtown at 8/8:30am and left from there.  It was suppose to be a two hour drive.  We all piled in Ford's car, the girls in the back and the guys up front and headed off to the mountians.  I was happy to finally go hiking since I had been wanted to go for months/years and don't because I have no one to go with.  The girls were really nice and everyone was really easy to talk to.  Ford is hilarious so there was no shortage of laughter on the trip.  We made one pit stop along the way and everyone was pretty tired but I was wide awake. 

Table Rock Adventures



We were going off of Jacob's phone for directions, which proves to always make sure you know where you're going.  It took us to a road called Table Rock Mountain Rd., which granted was the right idea just the wrong direction.  We ended upon a private drive for a good 1, there and back.  And of course there was nothing on the side of us but just mountain, and Ford was a crazy driver but it was fun.  He was telling jokes and being funny the whole time.  We gave Jacob a hard time about direction from his phone.  So our extra hour detour to try and find table rock was full of laughs.    

Once we got back out on the main road we started to turn off and just kind of stopped in the middle of the road.  A truck went around us and then turned around because he thought we were broken down.  He asked him for directions and he started to help us out.  It was hard to keep a straight face the whole time because all the girls were laughing.  The guy was telling us to take the cut through road that we were on to 181 and take at right onto 181, then take "GingerK Kakers."  Jacob was giving all of us a hard time for not understanding what the guy had said.  We finally reached the "GingerK Kakers" sign that ready Gingercake Acres, so Jacob's ability to understand real country accents wasn't as great as he thought.  But it still remains a funny story until this day.
There's was definitely a bromance going on in the front seat between the boys about directions and the games.

Me saving Ford!

We got there, to our bathroom break and started the 1 mile hike too the top.  A couple was nice enough to take a group picture for us.  We finished our hike to the top with some cut thrus in the path.  When we reached the top the guys were on one side of the mountain and the girls were on the other, but they guys came and joined us ladies.  We took tons of really neat photos thanks to everyone's imagination.  We spent about on hour on top of Table and sat and at and had some good laughs.  Everyone pulled out food, which was all healthy and then out busts Ford with his tortilla chips, that was a good laugh.  We finally started to pack up and shoot back down the mountain when we started feeling light rain drops, but it never ended up raining.


Catherine's friend had done a handstand and while I wasn't
crazy enough to do that on the side of a mountain, I figured
I'd do with this!

Linville Falls
Linville was only about 10 minutes away from Table and the plan was to hike to see and overhead view of the falls and then turn around and find the spot to hike to the bottom of the falls.  I was dying to do my handstand somewhere.  We didn't stay long at the overlooks and hiked up some more to get different views.
After hanging out and taking tons of pictures we headed back to the care, this hike only lasted about 30-45 minutes.  




We got back to the car and had to decide whether or not we wanted to go hike to the bottom of the Falls or not.  Everyone's response to the question, "I don't care."   All the girls were exhausted.  We ended up taking a little nap on the way back home.  Catherine had the idea of some good ol' country cooking for dinner since we had just spent the day in the mountains.  Ford was making fun of us (us girls) on the way to dinner because he said we looked like bobble heads in the back seat when we were sleeping.
Good ol' country cooking it was for dinner..Cracker Barrel.  And then we finally made it back to Target so everyone could head home exhausted and it was only 6pm.  But awesome new friendships were made and we're definitely planning more hiking trips soon.  





No comments:

Post a Comment